Tubal.org Blogs
Filshie Clip removal
Category: Member Blogs
November 24, 2014
11:30 am surgical waiting room

Check in time for my procedure, I have my husband with me for support. I answer questions about myself to the receptionist; what's your full name, date of birth, who is with you today... Etc. She puts a hospital band on my wrist and we take our seats. Aaron, my husband, gets hot chocolate, a cookie, and an apple. It's torture to someone who couldn't eat past midnight. He tells me to hold his hot chocolate to warm my cold hands. A few minutes later, a nurse calls me back for my vitals. I step on a scale 106#, I sit on a chair and have my blood pressure taken 107/58, and my temperature 98.4. She asks me who is performing the surgery, she looks over my blood work from Friday, asks me about medicines I've taken, when I last ate and drank anything.

12:00 pm Admitting/Recovery room

She leads us into a big room filled with hospital beds and curtains. Explains that this is where I get admitted, they will start an iv, go over medications again, the surgeon will come in and speak to us, the anesthesia team will come speak to us, nurses will ask lots of questions and everyone will answer any questions I or my husband have. A nurse introduced herself and another nurse and they explained what they will be doing. They had me change into a hospital gown and then they started an iv and left for a while. Aaron and I brought my tablet for the long wait, the 3ds and a game for Aaron, my camera, a note pad and pen in case Aaron really wanted to remember something, and my medical record in case the doctor needed to know anything. I spoke with the surgeon and I signed consent forms, I asked him to explain exactly what he was going to do, he explained that they would make 3 lower abdominal incisions, fill my abdomen with co2 gas, he would remove any adhesions, and remove the Filshie clips. I spoke with the nurses again and they told me I have to take a urine pregnancy test before the surgery. All I could think of was if I had any pee at all. I managed to have enough for the test and obviously it was negative.

1:00 pm Admitting/Recovery room

It's supposed to be time for my surgery, yet I still haven't talked to anesthesia. Finally the nurses come by and explain to my husband that he must go back to the surgery waiting room and the doctor will come and speak with him after the surgery. She went through the check list and ends up having to hunt down the anesthesia team. Anesthesia comes in and explains that I'll have general anesthesia and they start it through the iv. She leaves and the nurses come back in. They have me give my ring to my husband such we say our goodbyes.

2:00 pm operating room

It's freezing cold, very clean, everyone is wearing white scrubs and face masks. They have me slide to another bed, the operating bed. They start a medicine through the iv to relax me and they have my breathe through an oxygen mask, I take deep breaths while they count. I'm asleep and ready for surgery...

4:30 pm anesthesia recovery unit

I have a blood pressure cuff on both legs and my left arm. I'm very sleepy but aware when a nurse comes near. They monitor my vitals until I'm awake most of the time, sometime after 5:00 pm This nurse eventually wheels me down to the recovery room so I can see my husband.

6:00 pm admitting/recovery room

She helps me into a reclined chair and offers me water to drink, which I throw up immediately. She brings me crackers and 7up which I cannot hold down. I look at my abdomen and see bandages on my belly button, my lower right side, and a bikini cut. I'm in good spirits once I sleep. The pain over my left ovary is gone. I never ask for pain medicine, I don't feel I need it. Aaron tells me he has the pictures from surgery, I take a look but cannot remember much. The nurse tells me that if I can pee I can go home. I ask her if I had a catheter (last surgery I wasn't able to pee because I had a catheter) she never answers me. She tells me she will give me more water and 7up, I'm able to keep down some fluids. I ask to try to go to the bathroom, she comes back with another nurse to help me. I throw up more on my way, it hurts my abdomen each time. I get to the bathroom and one nurse is getting warm wet washcloths, the other helps me onto the toilet. I'm able to pee! She broadcasts it to everyone and the nurse with the washcloths tells me that I'll bleed for a little while. I go back to the recovery room and we start the process to get me discharged.

7:00 pm leaving the hospital. Aaron gets the car and helps me in and we go home.

(Day by day recovery to be added soon)